Nadira037 | DIY Ruched Pencil Skirt

2:21 PM



Nadira037 | DIY Ruched Pencil Maxi Skirt

Hey Material Girls! My apologies for the delay but the way my life is set up...you know the rest. This post goes along with the DIY tutorial I posted, definitely check it out first. You can watch the video below or click here if you can't see it.




Let's start off with the fabric I used to make this gawjus skirt. I'm usually more a solid kind of a girl. I don't venture off in to the land of prints very often. When I saw this beauty at JoAnn's I had to have it.  It's a camo jersey fabric! I know right, camo?! This is probably the only time you will see me in head to toe camo. The fabric is 96% rayon and 4% spandex making it perfect for this type of skirt. 

Nadira037 | Camo Fabric | Ruched Pencil Skirt

For my lining I used a cream color jersey fabric I happened to have in my fabric stash. Any light weight knit would work.

To the question I'm asked most often, how much fabric will you need? I don't include this in my videos because it will depend on your measurements and it will be different for everyone. However I know some of you want the info for reference so here you go. 

For my skirt I used 65" or just under 2 yards. I based this off of my desired length plus about 45% extra length for the ruched effect. Watch the tutorial above and you'll know what I'm referring to if you haven't seen it yet. I would keep in mind that I'm 6 feet tall and this is a maxi skirt. The odds are you will need considerably less fabric.

One thing to note, the more fabric/length you add the more gathers you will end up with. It depends on the look you want for your finished skirt. The elastic I used is a 1/2" wide braided elastic, you can find here.


Nadira037 | DIY Ruched Maxi Pencil Skirt | Ponte Roma

I also made this skirt using my fave fabric ever, Ponte de roma. If you decide to go this route your skirt will come out just a little different. Ponte roma is a heavier fabric and you will have thicker gathers. Because of this I would add a minimum length of 50% instead of the 40% minimum for a lighter weight fabric. Also keep in mind that this fabric is more of a 2 way stretch so you will have to cut your fabric based on the direction of the stretch. I like both styles and will be making more of them in the dress style with the blouson top. Subscribe to my channel here so you don't miss the blouson top tutorial.


Thanx for reading. I hope this post was helpful and answered your questions. If you have any other questions feel free to leave them below.  What do you think of this style? Have you tried the tutorial yet? Let me know below what you think. And of course, as always feel free to share.


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I love your blog and videos. I am 6 ft 2 so I can actually relate to your measurements. Your style and approach is impeccable. Thank you for sharing your talents and gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tam that's awesome, there aren't that many #teamtallgirls who can relate. Thank you sew much! I'm inspired by comments like yours 😊 thank you for taking the time out to leave such a lovely comment. ❤

      Delete
    2. Hi what was the name of the gold eyeshadow u wore in your muslimah2muslimah videos? And what did you personally use on your face to moisturize it? Cause u all shoWed two different products..

      Delete
    3. Hi what was the name of the gold eyeshadow u wore in your muslimah2muslimah videos? And what did you personally use on your face to moisturize it? Cause u all shoWed two different products..

      Delete
  2. Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe