DIY | Open Front Abaya | Maxi Cardigan

11:31 AM


Nadira037 | DIY Open Front Abaya | Maxi Cardigan

Hey Material Girls! Finally a NEW tutorial! Thank you guys so much for being patient with me. I had a nice system in place and I was on a roll with weekly videos. Then my baby girl started kindergarten and everything changed. I mean everything, but now I've got it under control. We've got our new schedule going strong and I will be back to weekly videos!  Enough about my life, lets talk about why you're here. This open front abaya, right?

 This style of abaya, which can also double as a maxi cardigan, has been my most requested DIY lately. The great thing is it's pretty simple to make once you have your pattern pieces drafted. You can trace your pattern directly on your fabric but why not make a pattern so you have it ready to go and make again? 

Nadira037 | Open Front Abaya

Material & Measurments

Abaya Fabric | Light Weight Polyester 
Lace Trim | Black Fancy Lace 

For my abaya/cardigan I used 4.5 yards of fabric and 4.25 yards of the lace trim. The amount of fabric needed will vary based on your measurements. You can make this out of just about any fabric but I would suggest a light weight woven fabric to give it a nice flow. You may also need invisible thread to sew the lace trim down and wonder tape. 

I have a full video here about the wonder of Wonder Tape. Check out it, wonder tape can make almost any sewing project easier. Since I used a lining fabric that is a touch on the slippery side it served two purposes for me. One it held my fabric together and two it helped stabilize my fabric. Can't be mad at that. 

Check out the full tutorial below or click here if you can't see it. 



Have fun with this DIY. There are so many different ways you can customize and make it your own. Make the cuffs and trim a different color, add lace trim to the sleeves or make it floor length for a little extra flair.  Your options are endless. If you try this tutorial out, I would love to see and share. Tag me +Nadira037 and/or use hashtags #Nadira037 #MaterialGirl.

Nadira037 | Open Front Abaya

If you have any other questions or comments feel free to leave them below.



You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Hiya.
    How much fabric will be needed for someone who is about 5ft 3!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im plus like the american xxl in most pf my clothing and 5'8 how much fabric wpuld I need

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is the seam allowance?
    ive cut the pattern and just realised ive not left any seam allowance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nightcap Clothing offering most comfortable and lovely Maxi dresses which meets every occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. abaya styleWe provide a diverse range of modest wedding abayas. Find best Abaya style designer and Abaya fashion house in UAE. WhatsApp +971555506687

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wedding abaya

    We provide a diverse range of modest wedding abayas. Find best Abaya style designer and Abaya fashion house in UAE. WhatsApp +971555506687


    to get more - https://heracloset.com/prod/women/wo-abaya/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    العبايات

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an amazing and descriptive Blog. Abaya- Jacket for Eid is a perfect choice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is very descriptive and helpful. Great blog on Juba for men. Really liked the blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boksha.com offering most comfortable and lovely Maxi dresses which meets every occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best clothes website i have ever found in USA is Boksha.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Readymade party wear suits Online are an ethnic staple in every Indian woman's wardrobe. It is one of the most versatile pieces of clothing to own and play dress up with. Maaisarah has got you covered with a coveted collection of salwar suits and sets for every occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gift your wife a designer suit and bring a smile on her face but worrying about where to buy? No worries, we are here to help you. Get the Latest designer party wear suits for women from Maaisarah. All our collections are super classy and designer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely adore your insightful blog on abayas! If you're interested, feel free to explore our stunning Abaya Collection as well. We believe in sharing the beauty of diverse styles. Cheers to celebrating the elegance of the abayas!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe